Stone Levi: Four Weeks Old (HELP!)

had a nice quiet Christmas at home this year. we usually go hiking Christmas morning, but with intense wind and 30 degree temps, we opted for a nap in the living room instead. they say things change with a baby, and I’m ok with that!

our little man is giving us a run for our money. he is an amazing little eater – loves all the milk. he’s already 8lbs 7oz (birth weight was 5lbs 15oz!!) but if I had a nickel for every time he spits up what seems like a cup of milk after i nurse him, i’d have at least a dollar. Point is: I NEED HELP. I’m not proud of how frustrated I get after a feeding: he’ll nurse for a nice long stretch and do great, and the next thing I know, milk is flowing (I mean steadily flowing) out of his mouth. WHAT DO I DO?! I’ve talked to my nurse; she said to make sure his head is above his stomach and to burp him and then keep him upright for 30 minutes after each feeding. Done. Do that. I do that every time. Doesn’t help. We bought gripe water – tried it twice, hasn’t seemed to help. Whether he spits up immediately after a feeding or randomly 30 minutes later, it’s so defeating. I’m so defeated.

If you have any advice, I’m desperate. Absolutely desperate. I often lose it when I see the milk flowing out of his mouth. Tears flow down my cheeks. I just want him to be happy and full of milk. And he doesn’t cry when he spits up, fyi. He usually doesn’t mind it one bit. He’ll also get hiccups 9 times out of 10 after a longer feeding, which I’m sure means air is coming in somehow. I’m sure there’s a simple solution. Or maybe there’s NOT. and if there’s not, please break the news to me gently. This mama is begging for help.

Happy four weeks buddy. We love you and just want you to be happy. I’ll do whatever it takes. xo

14 thoughts on “Stone Levi: Four Weeks Old (HELP!)

1. Cathy Robinson Pickett says:

Ok sweetie look how much weight he has gained! His body is metabolizing what he needs. My guess, all be it 27 yrs ago since Lyndsy nursed..is he’s being a little piglet and nursing to much. His belly can only hold so much… so I would make him finish a little sooner ❤️🤗😘😘 Ots just fine he is gaining steadily!

2. Solange Long says:

Hi Logan had a similar issue and it ended up being acid reflux our pediatrician prescribed medication for it and she is a much happier baby. I’ve been going to the breastfeeding support group every Wednesday and have learned a lot of helpful tips from the other women and consultant that attend.

3. Lara Jane Coffey says:

Chin up, Mama. It is my experience that babies spitting up is very normal for the first 12 months. It should steadily get better as he gets older, and, hopefully by the time he us a year old he will be done, or at least close. As long as the spitting up is not causing him distress (crying right beforehand or similar behavior), he is gaining wait, and is otherwise in good health, there is nothing to be concerned about. That being said, I know it is very frustrating for you. Keep a dialogue going with your nurse/doctor and ask again if it doesn’t seem that he is growing or if he begins to be bothered by the spitting up. I have learned with my 4 biological children and now our first foster baby that the best indicator of whether there is something wrong is whether your baby is showing signs of distress. Take a deep breath. You are doing great!!

4. Brittany Teig says:

As long as he is gaining and doesn’t seem bothered, I wouldn’t worry too much (easier said than done!). It takes time for your body to get used to how much milk to produce and your baby to get used to taking it in. Our little guy used to get hiccups all the time and almost choke during nursing, but by 6 weeks, he was a pro. I know breastmilk is like gold, but at least you are constantly making more of it!

If you want some reassurance, this book was an amazing support to both me and my husband: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-womanly-art-of-breastfeeding-la-leche-league-international/1104443060?ean=9780345518453&st=PLA&sid=NOK_DRS_NOOK+EBooks_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP162521&gclid=CjwKCAiApo3SBRA4EiwAty8i-lKEc-qRCEo9YEV1BL-Mihr7YPKg4tERGqTKV66sCLgSE8IhBmD64hoCwT8QAvD_BwE#/

After 6 weeks, just like the book said, we found a lot of our concerns resolved themselves. You could try eliminating dairy from your diet (sometimes there may be an allergy), but talk to your doctor first. Sometimes it is way more trouble than it is worth and you need all of the balanced nutrition you can get right now!

Stay strong mama (and you can always reach out to your doula or a breastfeeding consultant at a local hospital also, if you need to!)

5. Shelley says:

My second son Cam had reflux terrible as a baby, his doctor prescribed Prevacid and it was a life changer. Sometimes medication is necessary, atleast in our case it was. It helped tremendously and he did not stay on it forever, only until about a year old. It’s very common, trust in your doctor. It’s very hard learning as you go but everything works out, one step at a time!

6. Dale says:

You are doing great. Stone Levi might be gulping in lots of air. Just keep doing what you are doing. Keep burping and patting his butt. Rub his tummy…a cup is probably a drop in the bucket. Relax and rest as much as you can… enjoy this time.. can’t wait to hold him!

7. etley enlightens says:

I’ve heard great things about that book! I must order. Usually he’s a happy spitter but today specifically he seems like he’s in pain which could be some tweaks to my diet and see if that helps. Thank you for all the good advice!!

8. etley enlightens says:

Thank you! I wish “they” warned me about it in the hospital. It would have helped the transition feel so much better – like this is normal! oh well, i shall pass on the knowledge to other mamas now that i know! He does seem a little distressed this morning after spitting up. so i’ll keep an eye on that!

9. YellowDogPinkPig says:

I think it’s very normal and you should be a very proud momma! My little one spit up a lot as a nugget and I started to see what I was eating and that was a contributing factor. I love pizza. Andy didn’t love pizza. See if there might be a corrolation from what your eating and when he’s got a lot of spit up. I also think that taking more breaks when feeding might help his head and tummy be on the same page.

Comments are closed.